About Me

My photo
I look at life with detachment and distance, like a window shopper. Not only I study the window but also my own reflections in it.

World According To A Photon

Saturday, February 19, 2005 3 comments

Imagine if I were a photon!
A plain and simple photon of energy (or visible light).
Call me Girishoton.
Traveling at the speed of light. This is the speed reserved for mass less particles like me not even for neutrinos who do have a smattering of mass.
What does the world looks like to me as Girishoton. Sorry I would have to take you to Relativity for that. At speed of light, time dilation that occurs for all moving particle has become infinite time has come to stand still. Even during a nanosecond of my time your world would have passed millions of years. My colleague photons that were present at the time of the big bang are only less than a second old while the world has taken billions of years to come to this stage.
More weird is what has happened to Space. Due to same dilation effect on moving particles lengths and dimensions have shrunk infinitely for me. I have developed the cosmic fish eye view. The whole universe has shrunk to a size of a point to me. I can be anywhere in this universe with slightest of shuffle. Couple this with time-stillness - I can be at any two different places at almost the same point of time from my point of view. Action at a distance simultaneously being at a number of different places is as natural to me as for a couch potato TV addict to be at the same place for a number of different times.
To me all photons all matter particles compacted into my water-drop world are all linked and form on breathing heaving single whole.
Welcome to my strange world full of nothing no-space not even an iota of time.
Will you come along with me for my next journey.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments: to “ World According To A Photon so far...

  • Anonymous March 18, 2005 8:19 PM
     

    Time, the way we experience is only valid with physical things. Any physical thing can not travel at velocity of light. When we talk of photon (which is not anything physical) travelling at velocity of light, it is not experiencing any distance travelled or time taken in travel. As the theory of relatively suggests and Girish describes, when travelling at velocity of light, as experienced by photon, it is standstill in time and it is everywhere all the time (which is difficult to visulaize as we tend to think based on our experience with proximity)

  • Girish Bhatnagar April 22, 2005 4:59 PM
     

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  • Girish Bhatnagar April 22, 2005 5:04 PM
     

    Hi Poeteye
    Thanks not only for stopping by, but also for applying your mind critically to the blog.
    As your ID suggests, if poetry interests you, please see my recent poem in my other blog Thoughts and Trivia
    You are absolutely right that as per lorentz contraction, the object moving at relativistic speeds, experiences a contraction in its length, only in the direction of movement.
    But with the simultaneous stoppage of time for it, due to time dilation, the world-view of photon should become a singularity in total time-space continuuam. In my view the time-dilation and length contraction is part of one and same phenomenon and due to integrated nature of time-space photons world-view should become a singularity in complete space-time.
    Best Wishes
    Girish

Post a Comment