About Me

My photo
I look at life with detachment and distance, like a window shopper. Not only I study the window but also my own reflections in it.

Grains of Time and Territory

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2 comments

To locate one's position and for measuring speed - ancient mariners depended on the position of stars. Position or velocity cannot be measured in a featureless backdrop. In fact it requires three features (ship, earth and the pole star) for positioning and to measure velocity.
Then how do we say that Sub-space particle are moving around us at the speed of light.
I think it is the grainy sub-space structure which enables measurement of velocity. So the space or distance is a grainy thing. There must a minimum distance, below which distance cannot be measured or conceived.
Since the velocity of sub-space structure gives rise to perception of time - time itself should be grainy, because distance is grainy. There must be a minimum time interval, less than that cannot be measured or contemplated.
So, the time is grainy.
It moves in jerks.
My rough calculations put this least count of time to be of the order of 10-32 seconds(10 raised to power minus 32 seconds).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments: to “ Grains of Time and Territory so far...

  • Anonymous August 16, 2008 6:56 PM
     

    Hi

    I'm interested in this field, although I have no physics background, I wondered if you would give a layman interpretation on a Wikipedia page my friend has set up? It is called "time is grainy" and quotes largely from a article by an alabama professor.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_is_grainy

    Regards, Tom

  • Girish Bhatnagar August 18, 2008 9:40 PM
     

    Thanks Tom. I will try to look at that wikipedia entry. Great that you are so interested in these things despite a formal study of Physics. Keep at it. Physics is just common sense and every person should think about science on these lines.

Post a Comment