About Me

My photo
I look at life with detachment and distance, like a window shopper. Not only I study the window but also my own reflections in it.

Nothings And Knots Make Things!!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 3 comments

Dontwalkquicklystop.
To make sense of the above non-sense, do nothing, but insert spaces between the words. Now read it:
Dont walk quickly stop.
Its still hard to make unambiguous sense, but spaces between the words, help us to make sense of written language. Same is the role of pauses between the spoken words. Without these spaces, language is not possible.
Punctuation further help us in understanding the language. Spaces by themselves are not sufficient. In fact shifting spaces and punctuation, within a series of characters, can change the whole meaning of the sentence.
Don't walk, quickly stop.
Don't walk quickly, stop.
Punctuation is something between a character and a space. Punctuation is not pronounceable like characters - in that sense its more like spaces. In spoken language sound inflexion and stresses on certain syllables, serve the purpose of punctuation.
In the same manner, space between the nucleus and the electron and between the atoms, defines the material world. If space between the words, is like the space between the nuclei, electrons are the punctuation. Space alone isn't sufficient, electrons are also necessary. Electrons are entities which are neither matter nor space. Unlike other particles having mass, electrons are dimention-less, point entities. In that sense, its just a knot in space.
Nothings and knots make Things!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments: to “ Nothings And Knots Make Things!! so far...

  • Anonymous May 17, 2005 10:38 PM
     

    I don't read physics that much, but my impression was that electrons also have mass (and electical charge). You know more on this subject. It may be a new theory that electron has no mass. Electrical and magnetic fields also puzzle me. Have you given any thought on them? Of course, we know everything in the electrical world is based on Faraday's law. But why do two different fields perpendicular to each other produce a force on a in the third direction.

  • Girish Bhatnagar May 18, 2005 4:07 PM
     

    Welcome back Jaspal. Electrons do have mass, but unlike other particles having mass, it has no measurable spatial dimention. Its considered to be a point charge.
    I am as well intrigued by the elctromagnetic phenomenon. Farady established some laws based on experiments, but these were reduced to mathematics by James Clerk Maxwell. I am reading his biography. Pls see my other blog about it.
    I think I will be able to write equations for structure of space if I can understand Maxwell's equations.
    Girish

  • Anonymous May 19, 2005 8:35 AM
     

    I have been to Phoenix, and didn't have time to write. I read your post on Maxwell soon after I wrote my comment on electomagnetism. I still owe you my explanation of gravitational attraction. I will write after a couple of weeks.

Post a Comment